9.22.2011

Khunthai Restaurant @ Petaling Garden

One of my friend highly recommended this Thai restaurant to me last weekend. We were actually looking for a place to bring our other friend back from over sea for dinner. Initial plan was to the one over at Chan Sow Lin but decided to go to some where nearer.My friend told me this has got to be his No.1 Thai restaurant. And some of our friends even agreed with him. So the rest again was history. Off we go to Petaling Garden which is off Jalan Gasing. It's nearby Hucks actually. It's a weekend and dinner time, so my friend advice us to go early as it will be packed after 8pm. And it really was. 

Waited for my friend to arrived since he's more familiar with what's good and what's not. I think he is that familiar with their menu that he can just order off hand in Thai. Cool~! Since they served local Thai authentic cuisine, he had ordered this appetizer for us to try. It's some sort like wrapping all the above ingredients (i.e chili padi, lemon bits, garlic, nuts, onions, dried shrimps and another type of seed thingy. 

This is the Thai leaves that come with the Miaeng Kum dish. In the middle is the honey to go with the ingredients after wrapping with the Thai leave. 

This is typically how it would look like after putting all the ingredients into the leave. Trust me, put more chili padi. You won't regret it. This appetizer seemed to be quite interesting where you have a bit of spiciness and sour in it. Not bad. Something to excite the taste bud before the main dishes I believe.  

Another appetizer before the main dish would be their Pandan Chicken. Actually I wanted to try this out and ordered it. What is Thai cuisine without Pandan Chicken.  Well nothing spectacular here but your ordinary pandan chicken. But it's good to start something light. There's 5 pieces so each has one. Fair~! 

Wanted an extra dish so we ordered this fried omelette with spring onion. A bit oily but I am alright with it. Really nice. Heck! I like anything fried together with eggs. 

Not sure if this dish was in the menu or not. It's their Pak Liang Thai vegetable. This vegetable isn't available locally according to my friend. It's only available over at Thailand. The vege is the same as the appetizer, Miaeng Kum. A bit oily but we all love this dish.  

My friend again recommended this fried chicken tendon. This is not a common dish locally I guess. It's chicken tendon covered with lots of sesame and deep frying it. Not bad, but I don't really see the unique in it except that it's rare. Is it my first time eating chicken tendon? I don't think so. But again I like anything fried.  At least this dish isn't as oily as the first two. 

The main dish would be this hot and sour deep fried siakap. My friend highly recommended this dish to us. Babe actually was wishing for their steam lemon fish. haha! My friend warned us numerous time of the level of spiciness of this dish. Most of them agreed except me. Really, it's not that spicy. But maybe there's something wrong with my taste bud. 

The siakap was quite large and sufficient for all of us. Sadly the fish was deep fried so we couldn't taste the freshness of it.  But again, I am cool with deep fried. The fish is topped with a lot of vegetable. You can see cabbages and kangkung and lettuces every where. Damn this fish is filling.

They even prepared an extra bowl of soup for the fish if it does goes dry since the charcoal is burning hot underneath it. You have lots of vegetables in it too. We finished the whole bowl off at the end.

Yes, I was sweating but not from the spiciness of the dish but rather the hotness from the stove burning hot underneath the fish. Looks so old school. I like it. You can't blow off the candles or fire with this baby underneath it. 

Most of the patrons ordered their umpera with sour plum. I know some of my friends are a big fan of this juice. But I am not really that into it. Actually this is my first 'attempt' with this juice. OK, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Since the sour plum helps a lot. I think I just have less than 3 glasses of this. We ordered two big jug of this juices. But it's very cooling and refreshing after some hot and spicy dishes we just had. 

The place was pack right after we arrived and it was raining at that time. So my friend isn't kidding when he said better be early and get a table quickly. They occupied two shop lot with one of them being air condition. But we wasn't permitted to sit in that room since they only reserve those with bigger crowds. But since it's raining that time, the weather was bearable. This is actually their second brand being the one up Butterworth their first. There is another one too over at Desa Aman Puri, Kepong. The dinner was really filling for sure but I didn't really agree with my friend saying that this is the best. I think what I had over at My Elephant is better and babe agrees with me on this. But well, food is very subjective I guess. Maybe someone can go over and try this out and let me know what you think. 

Rating
Food: 3.8 out of 5.0
Ambiance: 3.8 out of 5.0 (will go to 4 maybe if we were allowed in the air cond room)
Service: 4.0 out of 5.0 (fast and efficient)

Address: Khuntai Restaurant
6, Jalan 5/44, Petaling Garden,
Off Jalan Gasing, 46000 Petaling Jaya, 
Selangor Darul Ehsan 
Contact: 03-7781 7523

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...