9.08.2011

Goon Wah Restaurant @ Kuchai Lama

I read about this place from some where online and decided that I definitely need to pay the place a visit. Why? This is because I saw their Claypot Loh Shue Fun (CLSF). It's very hard to find a place that serve real good CLSF anymore. The one over at TTDI, Mama Kitchen's CLSF is not up to standard anymore and they even branch out to Bandar Puteri now. So when I saw that this place serve some really special CLSF, I had to give it a try. Quickly gave my ex-colleagues a call and they are all set. Similar with me, they like to travel around and eat too. I heard that the place is pack on a weekday, so we decided to arrive early, 12noon and luckily we managed to get a table outside. 

This is their famous CLSF. Well actually they are more famous for their fishhead noodle but I like this one more. The CLSF is served on top of a stove which is still burning when it's served. Wicked~! The noodle they used seemed to be a bit short and not like the usual ones that we had, so I guess they might manufactured the noodle themselves. This is not your typical CLSF as it's not wet and there are no raw egg on top of it. It's dry and topped with minced pork and crispy fried "kung yiew chie" (forgot how to pronounce it in Ang Moh, sorry). It looked simple but it tasted really nice. 

Here's a closer look of the CLSF. The portion is not that large actually. I think I can alone finish the whole pot up all by myself. But then again, we ordered a single pax. You need to quickly stirred the noodle around to mix it with the sauce and minced pork before the bottom part get over burn. Remember the fire is still burning hot underneath. Highly recommended. 

Well, since it's highly recommended and seemed like every table has at least one pot of this, we decided to ordered one and give it a try. It's their famous fishhead noodle with XO sauce. As you can see the pot is filled with fried fishhead. There's the usual salted vegetables, tomatoes and onions. The soup was really nice but one of my friend did mentioned that he preferred the one over at Desa Petaling while the other differ. As for me, I am alright with  this since I am not that big of a fan of fishhead noodle. How cool if they can put a stove like the CLSF underneath this dish too. ^^

This is another specialty in the house. It's their fried mixed intestines. A year ago, if you asked me if I would order this? Hell NO. But now, I am really into this dish. It's really a simple dish. I had tried those which are fried to crisp and now this is fried with garlic and "kong yew chie" again. Damn, the sauce is really good. I could finish a bowl of rice just with the sauce alone. Both my friends agreed with me on this. So I am not delusional. haha! 

Another specialty would be their Wu Tao Khao Yuk or Yam with braised pork. OK, I take pork in any form so this is again one of my favorite. But I don't like the yam so I just took the pork and leave the yam behind.

Eating the Khao Yuk alone would be a bit strong, so it is served together with man tao or steamed bun. 

Overall this dish seemed normal. Not to get over-excited with it but still it's one of the recommended dish over here. So we tend to try whatever the waitress recommended to us. Managed to finished the pork but not the yam.

Looked at those pork and fats. Best khao yuk should have 60% lean meat and 40% fats. Add some yam on it and wrapped it with that hot steamy bun. Take a bite into it and you are almost in heaven. Pork heaven that is. Note that the pork isn't that oily on the sauce. So you won't feel so fulled after eating it. 

We managed to finished off the whole 4 dishes (except some yam) up and less than 30mins. The place served their food quite fast. We ordered small portion for all of the dishes since we wanted to try as many dishes as possible. 

We cleansed all the oily food down with a glass of ice lime with asam boy. Damn it's refreshing. But the glass did seemed a bit "thin" for a place like this. 

This is how the crowd looks like around 12.45. Some of the tables are even reserved. Maybe it's a good idea to reserve a table before you come if you have a large crowd. 

The place is located over at Kuchai Lama. It's not that hard to locate it. Well, if you know your way around that area that is. The whole meal cost us RM60. I guess it's reasonable. I heard that the place only opens on weekdays from morning till 3pm if I am not mistaken or 2pm. The service was friendly and accommodating. Will I return? Hell YES!

Rating
Food: 4.0 out of 5.0
Ambiance: 3.8 out of 5.0 (noisy crowd but what do you expect)
Service: 4.0 out of 5.0 (food served fast and waitress was patients to recommend)

Address:
G13, Jalan 3/115C, KP2, Block KP2, 
Taman Kuchai Lama, Off Jalan Kuchai Lama, 
58200 Kuala Lumpur 

Contact: 03-7982 0048

2 comments:

LP said...

Is this the one u mentioned? I been there before. Their LSF is seriously good..

BaBy OcTopUs said...

Yup. This is the place. The LSF really is diff.

We go next time again la. ^^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...