12.05.2010

OM Burger @ Ampang

I had planned this trip for quite some time after seeing another blogger (Bangsar-bAbE) blogged bout it few months back. It's her choice of Malaysia's Top 5 Ramly Burger over KL. After going through the list, I had tried only tried one of them and decided to tried out the one on the top of the cake, OM Burger. It's located over at Ampang so it's quite a distance from Puchong. But I am determined even though the trip started off raining over at my side. The place was quite easy to find as it's just next to the main road. You can see a 7-11 store right in front of the stall.
 
When I arrived, both the owner are busy preparing their famous burgers for the awaiting customers. Parking was an arse, so I asked babe to go down and make an order while I make another round for parking. The pakcik will do all the cooking and grilling while makcik packing and cashing in the money. Good husband-wife combination here.

The oil are reuse as you can see which is a bit unhealthy. But then again, what is so healthy bout eating Ramly burger right? The patties are reheated again from another tray full of pre-prepared patties.

As you can see, he pre-prepared the patties beforehand to handle the high amount of demand. I was a bit let down of this but I would not judge it just so fast. Since it was highly recommended, I decided to wait and see. You have the usual chicken, beef, hotdog and their special oblong lamb.

I read that they had been operating for more than 25 years now already. Wow~! That is one hell of a good track record for me. I mean, if you can operate that long and still pack a long queue, he must be doing something right. He start operating as early as 5pm till really late. How late? Till they run out of buns or patties maybe. But then again, 7-11 is just behind them. Maybe that's the reason why they are there in the first place.

Since I am trying out another joint later, I am not going all the way right yet. So I'd decided to go with the usual Ayam Special and their famous Lamb Oblong Special. I saw one of the customer ordered their benjo and it's quite different from the one we had normally as he doesn't used the metal thingy to shape the egg.

Follow in line now. Saw an advert on an online voting for their favorite street food on their stall. I read some where that they are once voted as the best burger/street food in town back at 2004 (if I am not mistaken).

This is how babe's Ayam Special with Cheese (RM4) looks like after unwrapping. As you can see the mayo, tomato/chili and bbq sauce are oozing out from the patty. This is how a real local Ramly burger should look like. Sloppy and nasty just the way I like it. But babe was not that enthusiastic as I am. He had a hard time eating it as it got smudges all over her face. 

This is how the patty looked like after the first bite. Babe was quite disappointed as it doesn't really felt any different from any she had before. I took a bite and had to agreed with her. The patty was too thin and we can't really taste the juicy and sloppy patty at all. Nice too see but not that nice to eat for us. Maybe we need to order their double special to really enjoy it.

Finally, my oblong lamb special with cheese (RM6). It was large. Imagine they split open a hotdog bun and just spread the patty on top of it and just hit everything they have on to it. It's sloppy and sauce was seen everywhere. I took a bite and it's really nice. I totally love this one. Babe had a bite and too agreed with me it's better than the Ayam Special. The patty is juicy and thick. The egg totally enclosed the whole patty and I love the pepper and Rochester sauce they applied to the patty during preparation. Simply delicious. This is highly recommended. 

After we clean up, I started my journey to the next stall. Yes, you heard me right. I am a man on a mission that night. Next stop Bob's Burger. OM burger is a bit over rated to me on their ayam special but luckily it was save by their lamb oblong. The lamb oblong definitely is one of the best I had to date. But I heard Bob's serve a packing with their lamb tiesto too. So you will just need to wait and see how it goes on my next post.

Rating: Ayam Special 3 out of 5 
Lamb Special 4 out of 5
Like : the real sloppy and nasty patty 

OM Burger can be located at
Lorong Kolam Air Lama 1, 
Ampang 

GPS Coordinates
3.160667,101.758665

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...