9.28.2009

Din Tai Fung @ The Gardens

It was lunch hour and everywhere was packed with people rushing to have a quick bite. Was deciding between Chinoz or Itallianies when I finally remembered a place which I'd always wanted to visit, Din Tai Fung. I'd read some where online that this Taiwan based restaurant was once voted by New York Times to be one of the Top 10 Best Restaurant in The World. This I had to try for myself. Queue was short but need to wait for the table to be cleared before entering. The place was pack as always even during weekdays, this should be a good sign.

Spring Rolls
Had ordered some spring rolls to warm up our tummy before the main. It was freshly (hot) prepared and the ingredients are mostly vegetables. Nothing special but a normal spring roll for you.

Siew Loong Bao with Crab Meat
They have so much variety of dumpling in the house. One that grabbed my eye was their siew loong bao with shark meat (I am not mistaken). But we had ordered the one with crab meat. Let's say I prefer my bao to be purely pork. The soup in the bao wasn't that strong compared to the one I had at Dragon-I. But maybe it's mixed with seafood? You can mix and match with all the dumpling they have in the menu which is a good thing.

Pork Chop with Fried Rice
Since I am very hungry that afternoon, I had ordered something filling. Hence the pork chop and also fried rice. To me, nothing beats fried pork with fried rice. There's meat and rice. Fried rice was a bit flat so I had added a lot of their chili paste to go with the rice. Portion was generous though even for the pork. It was hot and crispy which is really nice.

Water Dumpling with Noodle Soup
The dumplings are a lot and the size was alright. But the soup was a bit plain again. I am not sure why, but some of their food here are a bit plain to me. But different people do have different taste buds. This is a good meal for those who wanted something fresh and not too strong I guess.

Overall, the food was alright. But to be Top 10 in the world? Well maybe I am missing something out here. I heard from friends that anyone who visit Taiwan should drop by to their restaurant as you won't regret doing so. (Rating: 3.8 out of 5.0)

2 comments:

aleximon said...

you must try the beef noodle next time, i heard my friend said Taiwan HQ is the best !

Anonymous said...

Taiwan maybe but Malaysia I doubt will be as good. If got chance will go Taiwan n try one day.

BO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...