6.18.2010

Fun Taipei Tea Cafe @ SS2

 
Was told of this Taiwan restaurant by babe as her family wanted to get the franchise for the shop. So since they know I eat a lot, I mean know a lot about eating places, they asked me to scout around. Didn't have to ask me twice for that. The one I visited is located at SS2, the same row as Pelita and opposite McDonald. Finding a parking during lunch hour on a weekday is HELL in SS2. I spent 15 minutes looking for car park and finally managed to get a spot, by parking illegally at the back lane. The place was almost full house when we entered. Decorations was moderate and I don't really felt as if this is a franchise at all. But heck, what do I know, right. On to the menu and there are a wide range of food from the customary 3 Cup Chicken (San Pei Chi) to Oyster Mee Sua.

 
Beef Noodle 
My lunch-buddy is a beef noodle freak. She will try out all the beef noodle in town if she has the chance. The noodle was alright but the beef portion was moderate. Since she had been to Taiwan and tried their beef noodle, I take her feedback seriously when she said the soup isn't as strong as it should be. We had better beef noodle during our visit to Asia Food House. But this is very subjective as not everyone can accept the strong taste of beef in their noodle.

 
Crispy Fried Chicken Set 
I know I won't go wrong with the crispy chicken set from the looks of this. The set comprises of vegetables, fried egg with Thai sauce, spicy hot soup, rice with minced pork and of course the crispy fried chicken.

 
Don't let the looks deceive you as it taste better than it look. I had tried many fried chicken from other shop and this is really something special. The chicken is fried into thin crispy and crunchy and add that with some spicy chili flakes on top. Delicious. The chicken isn't too overly fried like some places and not too much starch or flour used during the marinating process. So you're not really eating 80% flour and 20% chicken here.

 
Rice is simple with the standard stewed mince pork on top to add some taste to it.

 
They don't give you simple fried egg here but fried egg with Thai sauce to add some spice to the whole meal.

 
I forgot to take a picture of our drinks which we both ordered their Bubble Milk Tea. And I can say that it's really good. The taste of milk tea is strong and not just powder. Overall, the meal is above average for me. The portion worth the money I am paying most importantly. They hired some Chinese lad which I think are from Taiwan. My lunch-buddy said their slang sounds like Taiwanese. But it's good to know that you're being serve by Taiwanese when you're eating their cuisine for me. Imagine a Myanmar or Indonesian taking your order? I am not being racist here, but just that it will make your visit felt more 'local'. If you get what I mean. cause a restaurant is not just about it's food but also the service. (Rating: 4.0 out of 5.0)








5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site craving4food.blogspot.com
Is this possible?

BaBy OcTopUs said...

exchange link? what do u mean?

Pamela Yeoh said...

Nice food here.. And is cozy as well.

Anonymous said...

I went there (ss2 branch) last saturday, using the Everyday.com coupon to redeem my pearl milk drink...the blonde hair waitress's suckss...simply because it's a discounted drink, she serves us badly...she definitely spoiled the reputation of the cafe, if Fun Taipei is not afford to run this kind of promotion, please don't ever give your customer any discount. It's chasing the customers off.

BaBy OcTopUs said...

So sorry to hear that. Well I am 100% agreed with you on this.

I had better services over at Asia Food House over at Damansara Uptown. It's a smaller cozy place but packed with customers during lunch hour.

Their bubble milk tea is really nice.
http://craving4food.blogspot.com/2008/09/asian-food-house-damansara-utama.html & http://craving4food.blogspot.com/2009/08/asian-food-house-uptown-revisited.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...