9.20.2010

Fong Lye Taiwan Restaurant @ The Gardens (Re-visited)

I am not sure about anybody else, but I haven't been to any great Taiwan cuisine restaurant before except this. The best I had to date would have to be Fong Lye in The Gardens. My first and second visits seemed to be a pleasant one. I heard that there is another one called Fong Lye Restaurant  over at Plaza Prisma ,Ville Desa Sri Hartamas which offers cooked dishes for a group of people rather than bento sets like over here. But for now, lets get back to Fong Lye. As usual, the place is packed with people when we arrived. But luckily we managed to get a seat as there's just two of us. If you're coming here in a group, you would need to wait around 10-15 minutes if you're lucky. 

During my first and second visits, I had tried some of their appetizer like their famous Taiwanese Glutinous Rice Sausage and Sweet Potato Balls. This time around, I had ordered their Fried Oyster with Egg. As you can see, it is served with sweet sauce on top. The portion seemed to be enough for two to three pax.

You have the usual suspect like oysters, eggs, flour (a bit too much) and onions. The flour seemed to be a bit too much actually. I like the way they prepared the dish as the outer layer is cooked to crispy and the over burn part. Nothing too special for me. 

My friend had ordered their beef with onion set. The set come with steamed rice with some stewed pork on top as always. It's quite a norm for their steamed rice with stewed pork on top. Nice.

So what do we have for the side dish? We have their famous half stew egg, asparagus and the last seemed to be fried tofu with mayo inside. The best would be the fried tofu as the mayo was oozing out when I bite into it.

Now let's get to the main course. The portion seemed to be a bit little quite sufficient as we have side dishes and the appetizer. It's a simple dish but heck it's really nice. The beef are marinated and the scent of the spring onions really blend well with the fried beef. Nice. 

If that is not enough? Try finishing this bowl of hot chicken soup. Although it's nothing much to brag about but it's really above average. The portion of chicken are really generous and I almost didn't managed to finish it. \\

As for my set, I had ordered their Spicy Fried Chicken set. I am really hungry and this is definitely a right choice. The portion is really large. The chicken is fried to crisp and later poured with chili based sauce on top. It's not that spicy but just alright. I had actually ordered it to be extra spicy. Not the best I had but still a good dish to have on an empty stomach. 

Again, my trip is a nice one. Everything was good down to the soup. Will definitely recommend to my friends as I had a better here compared to Din Tai Fung, Xian Ding Wei or Fun Taipei. Been here a few times but never tried their beef noodle soup before. Will bring a friend who seemed to be an expert of beef noodle. Do let me know if you had tried anything else from here or anywhere else. (Rating: 4.0 out of 5.0)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...