3.08.2011

Little Korea @ One Solaris, Mount Kiara

It was my birthday and it was a last minute thingy for me looking for a venue. I had listed out three namely Daidomon Japanese Buffet at Great Eastern Mall, Fong Lye Taiwan Cuisine at Jalan Imbi and Little Korea over at One Solaris. At the end after some voting among my friends, we decided on the latter. I am really looking forward going over this place as it was quite highly recommended by another well know food blogger.
The place is located outside of Tenji over at Solaris, Mount Kiara. It's facing the main road on the third floor. There's a big signboard on top of the building and it's the same row as Maybank and CIMB. You can't really miss it. There's an elevator so you don't have to use the stairs. There are a few Korean restaurants nearby the area which I might go over and have a try on my next visit.
I heard that the place was popular, so I made a reservation beforehand. And it's a wise move if I do say so myself. The place was packed to the top when I arrived. The place was really busy with customers waiting at the front entrance and all. So I informed the waitress of my reservation and they gladly show me the way.
I had previously asked for a private room as there were around 9 of us. The room is situated on the other side of the main restaurant. The room can fit 12 pax and has 3 hot plate. Air cond was at full blast that night I think as most of us are freezing. I guess it's really good since the room gonna be heating up when we start cooking those ribs and belly. 
Since four of us arrived early, we decided to start one of the hot plate first. This is when everything goes down hill. The waiter didn't asked us what kind of drink they have and just poured us plain water. And when my other friends arrived and asked for tea or other drinks they are a bit lost with the request. Yes, they are foreign workers but they should be well equip with the basic fundamental conversation with the customers, not?
Browsed through the menu and there were a lot of choices ranging from pork, beef and soups.
Since we're waiting for the others, we decided to ordered their famous pan fried flour cake. This is kim chi based with shrimp, clams, squid and scallion all mixed together. Basically it's a seafood kim chi flour cake. Not bad, but maybe the kim chi can be a bit stronger here.
What is Korean cuisine without their famous side dishes appetizers or 'banchan'. This side dishes should arrived even before our other dishes but it arrived really late actually. We were really frustrated as they only gave us one set of each of the above. Even after all of us had arrived, we still need to remind him several time to give us more and refill. Really really frustrating.
Another complain would be the salad which is for wrapping those meat we ordered. It came so late. We had finished our marinated beef and it's still not seen on the table. We didn't realized that until one of my friend asked about it. And we requested, it took them like 5 mins to get it. Another frustration. Is this the end? You wish. Since there are 8 of us, we had requested that they fire up the another hot plate on the other table. But the waiter said that we (8 of us) to share one plate. Huh? WTH?!! There are 3 plates in the room and 4 customers should share one, so if there's 8 of us, we should have two, or am I wrong in my MATH?!! Since some of my friend don't take beef, so we requested to separate the plate. At the end he heated the other plate and at this point most of us are really annoyed and I can sense that the waiter was too. WTH!?!! Service really sux!
This is the marinated beef ribs which we ordered and finished off without any salad to go with it. The beef is nicely marinated and I am not sure why they didn't throw in the garlic into the plate to grilled it. Another complaint would be the chili paste. We had requested extra as they only have us two sets for 4 of us at that point. And when we ordered more the waiter seemed to be a bit unhappy. WTH?!!
The marinated pork ribs came second but we are actually quite uncomfortable at this point as the service of the place really do affect our dining experience. The pork isn't that bad but we didn't enjoy it under the circumstances.
This is the pork belly which is really tempting for me, as I like belly a lot. The fat and lean meat are evenly separated. Delicious. Portion might be a bit little but you can order more.
A friend ordered their Kim Chi styled noodle to share. There's a lot of seafood inside namely squids, dried wort, garlic, onions and spicy pepper. There's also clams and octopus in there too with some spicy ingredients. But the taste fall flat as my friend who tried this in Korean said it's not really the same and isn't that spicy too. Sad~!
Another recommended dish by online blogger, their beef bul go ki. It's actually pan fried sliced beef and vegetable all mix together seasoned with soy sauce, sugar and pear juice. I was warned that it tasted sweeter than usual but I am alright with it. Either you like it or hate it. So some of us finished it and some didn't. Babe wasn't really into it so I have to finished hers. Not bad, something new for me.
This is a complimentary steamed egg by the restaurant. A bit plain again on the taste over here. But heck it's free, so I can't complain much.
Overall, the food isn't as good as I thought it would be and my friend even dared to say that the one we had over at DaoRae, Taipan is far better. Well at least the service over there are more down to earth and generous. We had to wait for a reserved table over at DaoRae and the boss came out and apologized to us personally and even complimented us on so many dishes that night. Service was superb and it complimented the dishes more. But that is not the same over here. It's actually the other way around. The food over here might be better but since the service is so darn bad to the point that my friend walked out to asked for service, I'm sure that this will be our last trip over. 

Yes, the place is pack that night. But they should have hired more people to help. You can't give an excuse of over crowded for the bad service and all. The waiter did his best to serve us but sorry to say it's not even on average level yet. One of my Everything was a disaster that night. The late salad, the late refills and lack of the appetizers, request for extra hot plate being rejected, not offered tea instead of plain water, slow service, refills of water .. .OMG, the list is so darn long. We are just disappointed. And I am really sorry that I had so highly recommended the place to my friends for my birthday dinner. But luckily we had a good round of beers over at Over Time, One Mount Kiara after that. 

Ambiance : 3.5 out of 5.0 (we had a private room)
Service : 3.0 out of 5.0 (this is the worst rating I gave to date)
Food : 3.8 out of 5.0 (hit and misses here and there)

Address: Jalan Solaris 1,
Solaris Mont Kiara, 
50480 Kuala Lumpur, 
WP Kuala Lumpur
Contact: 603 6203 7217

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...