10.15.2010

Yut Kee @ Jalan Dang Wangi


Sorry again for the lack of updates in my blog lately as I am tied up with my usual business trip and also renovation currently. But nevertheless, there's no rest for the wicked. So I was browsing the FB like millions of working people do nowadays during working hour and stumbled upon a picture upload by a friend. When I realized what it was, I am eager to try it out.

 What is it? Well it's actually roast pork a.k.a siew yuk. What's so special bout it? 

Well it's made like a Swiss Roll. Yup, you heard me right. The place is called Yut Kee which is located at the end of Jalan Dang Wangi. It's really easy to find actually, just Google it. Trust me, it's there. 

Parking is a bitch over there as I managed to park right in front of the restaurant as it was an illegal spot. But since there are cars parked on both side, so I just joined them. Luckily I didn't get a summon during the lunch hour. The place is a very very old Hainanese restaurant which is established around 1926 if I am not mistaken. The place is not run by the grandson of the original owner.

The place has the portrait of the founder on the wall as you can see above. If you saw a guy at the cashier bearing 90% resemblance of the man, don't be afraid, it's just the grandson.

When I arrived, the place is already packed with customers and a lot of people are queuing up waiting for a table. Well, since I am alone, I managed to get a seat really easy. Shared a table with 3 ang moh who also ordered their special roast pork. From their conversation, they did complement the dish and it's one of the best they had. 

Without wasting anytime, I had ordered their special roast pork (siew yuk) and a glass of cham ice. As you can see, the special roast pork is some sort like Hainanese Chicken Chop crossing over with Chinese Roast Pork. The special roast pork is served with potatoes and green peas at the side. Those are apple sauce on the roast pork. Not really fond of it, but luckily they gave me another bowl of brown (mushroom) sauce to go with it.
The roast pork is made like Swiss roll which makes it easier to slice and you have an even lean and fat all around. The outer layer is so damn crispy that it's addicting. I thought of ordering extra to take away but sadly it's not enough. People are queuing up waiting when I left. 

Since the roast pork isn't that filling (for me), I had ordered their famous Hainanese Chicken Chop. The Ang Moh left and another group of people working from AIA sat down and looked at me when they saw I am starting on the chicken chop. Mind you, it's not that large of a portion actually. The chicken chop is covered in egg and fried to crisp and is served with mushroom sauce on top with the standard green peas and potatoes at the side. Doesn't really blow me away with this but just a decent plate of Hainanese Chicken Chop. 

Third round? No I don't think so. I was tempted to ordered their roti babi. Yes, it's called roti babi which is pork bread/burger. But I heard that it's really filling and decided to call it off. Maybe on my next visit with more reinforcement. They are also famous for their belacan fried rice, hokkien noodle (yes, hainanese do serve Hokkien noodle too), kaya toast and swiss rolls. 

The roast pork are only available every Friday and Sunday only. They will start serving the special roast port around 11.30am and most probably be finish around 12.30 noon. So better be quick as you might not get a seat in time to order a portion to eat. Overall, the trip over was worth it. Since I never really compliment any roast port dishes before. This is because, roast pork has little criteria which is freshly roasted and crispy outer layer. That is the most important for me. So when I saw how special this roast port is, I quickly make a trip over before you can even finish saying Siew Yuk. (Rating: 4.5 out of 5.0)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...